Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Joy of Writing

Days like yesterday, are days that remind me why I'm a writer. I'm polishing the draft of book two of King Rolen's Kin for Solaris at the moment, and there was a bridging scene I needed to write to make sense of the last quater of the book. When I came to this point originally, it just wasn't working and nothing I did made it fall into place. Pushing through, wasn't an option.

This time I came to the problem scene and kept right on writing. All the niggly little plot threads fell into place, in a brand new scene, which was better than my old planned scene. All day, as I hung out washing, drove kids around and did shopping etc the scene was bubbling away in the back of my mind. I couldn't wait to get back to the computer. There was this wonderful sense of excitment and achievement.

Nothing can take that away. Whether you are writing a book that has already been accepted or writing on spec, the private joy of creating is just between you and the keyboard.

Back to work!


Cheers, R.

No comments: